East Texas Baptist

baptist

  East Texas Baptist University, affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas, is a private, Christian university of liberal arts and sciences. ETBU is located on the site of the former Van Zandt Plantation, which is at the highest altitude in Harrison County. ETBU was founded as the College of Marshall in 1912, after a campaign to create a Southern Baptist college in East Texas. The campus' first building, Marshall Hall, was completed in 1916. It was designed to house a gymnasium, library, chapel/theatre, administrative offices and classrooms. The College of Marshall opened the following year in 1917 as a two year junior college and academy. It became East Texas Baptist College in 1944.